Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Poetic Inquiry

At the beginning of the school year, I posted my big question that went like this:

"They say that music can affect one's personality and the way they view the world. My question is, how? I feel like the music I listen to has no real affect on me, so does it on others?"

While looking through the magical internet, I came across  a sonnet a girl wrote for her English class sophomore year. Why did I choose this one? Because after reading it, it got me thinking...

Lying in bed with these buds in my ears,
I go from dead silent, to alive and fantastic
Feeling vibrations that beat out the tears
In a void of music, I feel captured by magic
This magic is real, and that is no lie
When I play my guitar with that clean open sound
It paints me a picture of a deep purple sky
And bring back my memories, to the past I am bound
But the magic doesn’t always work the same way
I see purple skies, but you’ll see something else
So these magical emotions, all I can say
Is they are not in the music, they are in myself
So as my mind is an endless page of white
I am painting a picture on this dead silent night

When I posted my big question, the only thing I had in mind when posting it were just lyrics to a song. It made me think of some of the anarchy-filled lyrics of some hardcore punk I listen to, along with explicit lyrics, usage of "bad words", and the occasional songs about drugs. But after reading this, I thought about how there's way more than just the lyrics that we enjoy or might inspire us, it's way more than that. I mean, sure we could enjoy the lyrics, but there's more! We can enjoy the instrumentation, or the beat that gets us going, or that awesome guitar solo, or (for me) that super awesome drum part going on in the back. So there's way more to enjoy, and to inspire us in a song or genre that makes us love it. And the thing is, I knew this the whole time, and didn't really take the time to think about it before hand when typing out my big question.

No comments:

Post a Comment