Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Crossroad Between Should And Must

I never really took a deep thought over the difference of "should" and "must". Before reading the article, I had in mind the definition of "should", which was similar as to what Luna said, but never gave long consideration to "must". After reading Luna's article, I thought about my future, and what steps ahead I have in order to achieve what I want in my future. Along with that, I also took the "should" and "must" being put into it. I think that I'm put right where the two meet, right at the cross. 

As noted, "should" is what people want us to do, while "must" is based on our belief. A "should" that is always encouraged by others is the traditional "go to college, get a a degree, get a career out of it" deal, which is the path I'm on right now. But, one thing that you can do with "must" is remix the "should" that society wants for us. If the "must" that we want happens to have an element of the "should" that society thinks that's best, then there's no reason why that shouldn't be done.

I intend do apply that to my future. While I'm taking the "should" message that is encouraged by society, I'm adding my "must" to it and taking it into the direction that I want to. So yeah, I'm going to college, getting a degree and so on, but am I getting a degree in something that I "should" do? No, of course not, I'm majoring in something that I want to major in, at the college I want to go to, that will lead me to a career that I want. If it seems right to us, if we want to do it, then we simply must, if we think it's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment